Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Bill McCartney: Man of Conviction.

For anyone who doesn't remember Bill McCartney, the greatest football coach the University of Colorado ever had, Michael Weinreb has a great interview and retrospective on the man whose Godly convictions overwhelmed his love for coaching. 

As a Christian man myself, to watch a Godly man put himself where his mouth is, so to speak, is inspiring. But for anyone, you have to respect someone who stands behind his beliefs to the point where he gave up what was at the time one of the best coaching jobs in the country to follow his heart.

I (this is Gordon) was a successful band director for thirty years before an illness forced me into semi-retirement. The illness, in a very real sense, led me to the Lord, and the new path that He moved into my life would not have been possible had I remained a band director: the time that job took was prohibitive, and like Bill's, my family suffered for it. And (like him), extolling my Christian values was and is difficult when your employer is a state-run entity.

I encourage you to read this. It's a portrait of a man who knows what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment