Friday, June 12, 2015

On betting and gambling...

Proud to brag (against my Christian beliefs) that despite Port Adelaide's favored status, my Geelong pick held up, and they won by 23 in the Adelaide Oval Friday night, Aussie time.

The correct pick pushed me up into the top 1/2 of 1% in the various AFL "tipster" contests at afl.com.au - so let that be evidence that you can trust my prediction advice! The CFL site has a similar contest, so I thought I'd try it out this season as well, although my Aussie knowledge is definitely superior to my Canadian! Can't hurt to try, since they're all free to enter.

It's a far cry from risking my own money on someone else's athletic prowess and flukes of injuries and the whims and follies of men in the twenties. If you're going to gamble your hard-earned coinage, do it on your OWN abilities, or at the very worst, on something with some statistical basis for your projection.

And if you must gamble your money, KNOW WHEN TO STOP. Set a limit that you can afford, and stick to it. If you can't stick to it, NEVER GAMBLE. When someone with an addictive personality gets into the "I can win it back" mode, they're doomed. If, on the other hand, you enjoy gambling (whether it's sports betting or slot machines or poker or the lottery) as much as, say, a nice dinner out? Take forty dollars (or whatever the evening is worth to you), go enjoy yourself...but when that money is gone, YOU'RE DONE. If you can't stop then, DON'T START! No "just one more"s, no "but I was just about to get hot!"....

When it comes to sports, there are so many free competitions on line you can compete in - get the thrill of the bet without the painful side effects. You have no excuse to hamper your life and that of your family by throwing money down the toilet with nothing to show for it but regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment