Tuesday, March 17, 2015

49ers' Chris Borland retires...at 24...in good health...because...

Read this article. 

The outstanding rookie linebacker Chris Borland, formerly of the Wisconsin Badgers and stand-out fill-in for the injured Patrick Willis last season, is retiring after his rookie season, and he says there's just one reason for it.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."
"I feel largely the same, as sharp as I've ever been. For me, it's wanting to be proactive," Borland said. "I'm concerned that if you wait 'til you have symptoms, it's too late. ... There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long, healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise." 

This is the highest-profile player to decide that his quality of life was more important than the job he had spent his life building up to. Concussions are becoming a very serious thing, folks, and football as an entity needs to figure that out FAST!

No comments:

Post a Comment